Hunt for man in Manchester after an attempted rape on 10-year-old girl

A huge policing operation has been launched in Manchester to trace a suspected sex attacker who allegedly tried to rape a 10-year-old girl.

The suspect is described as being of Asian appearance, in his 20s and of slim build. He was wearing a dark coat.

The incident happened as the girl was out playing with friends but they became separated at 2pm on Saturday on Kincraig Close in the Openshaw area of Manchester.

Police have said that a man approached her and then tried to rape her in open land nearby.

The girl managed to escape and in a distressed state managed to stop a dog walker to ask for help.

Extra officers will be patrolling Openshaw after a man attempted to rape a girl.

Shortly after 2pm yesterday (Saturday 10 February 2018) a 10-year-old girl became separated from her friends on Kincraig Close.

A man approached her and attempted to rape her in open land nearby.

The brave girl managed to escape from the attacker and stopped a dog walker to ask for help.

Police were immediately called and searched the area to try and find the suspect responsible for attacking the girl .

Detective Chief Inspector James Riley, from GMP’s City of Manchester team, said: “What happened to this young girl is understandably very upsetting and specially trained officers will continue to support her in any way they can.

“Parents and neighbours will be concerned and we have stepped up our visible police patrols throughout the coming days and nights. If you do have any worries then please feel free to approach them and they will try and assist.

“I also want to stress that we are doing everything in our power to find the man responsible for this and a dedicated team of detectives are working round the clock.

“So far we have a number of witnesses who are being extremely helpful, while we will also be continuing to knock on doors in the area to see if anyone else saw anything suspicious.

“Extensive CCTV is being examined and I can confirm that we haven’t received any other reports of this nature in the area over the weekend.

“With the help of this brave girl and the community we have a good description of the attacker and if anyone recognises it or recalls seeing a man matching that description in the area, then please call us.”

Anyone with any information should call CID on 0161 856 1146. Alternatively, information can be passed on anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Dad of Mylee Billingham charged for her murder

William Billingham, of Valley View in Brownhills was charged last night (Saturday 10 February) with the murder of Mylee Billingham and also for making threats to kill.

The 8-year-old was found with knife wounds at her father’s house in Walsall at around 9.15pm on Saturday 20 January.

She was taken to hospital with stab injuries but unfortunately nothing could be done to save her life and she was pronounced dead shortly after.

A post mortem examination took place on Monday 22 January and the results confirmed Mylee died from a single stab wound to the chest.

Unemployed Billingham, aged 54, was arrested following the incident and was taken to hospital where he received treatment for injuries he had received.  He was discharged from hospital on Friday 9 February and taken into police custody to be interviewed.

Police are continuing to support Mylee’s family at this tragic time and are not seeking anyone else in relation to this incident.

William Billingham, known as Bill, has been remanded in custody and is due to appear at Wolverhampton Magistrates Court on Monday 12 February.

Uncle of 11-year-old Jasmine Forrester charged with her murder

Delroy Forrester, of Lower Villiers Street in Blakenhall was charged last night (Saturday 10 February) with the murder of Jasmine Forrester.

The 11-year-old was found in a house in Kent Road, Wolverhampton just before 1am on Friday 9 February after a neighbour heard a disturbance.
She was taken to hospital in a critical condition, but sadly lost her life on Friday afternoon with her family by her side.
A post mortem examination is due to take place today (Sunday 11 February) to determine the cause of death.

Following the incident, unemployed Forrester, age 51, was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder at the scene.

 Leading the investigation, Detective Inspector Ian Wilkins from the West Midlands Police Homicide Team said, “We are continuing to support Jasmine’s family at this truly tragic time.

“The family have asked for privacy and we really hope everyone can respect that wish.

“We are not seeking anyone else in relation to this incident, but if anyone has information please get in contact with us.”

Anyone with information is asked to call police on 101, quoting crime reference 20WV/32155Q/18.

Delroy Forrester has been remanded in custody and is due to appear at Walsall Magistrates Court on Monday 12 February.

11-year-old Wolverhampton girl dies after stabbing

The family of Jasmine Forrester who was found seriously injured (Friday 9 February) in Wolverhampton have today released images of the young girl after she tragically passed away.

The 11-year-old was found just before 1am in Kent Road after a neighbour heard a disturbance.

Officers found Jasmine inside a house with multiple injuries, including a serious head wound.

She was left in a critical condition, but lost her fight for life in hospital yesterday afternoon with her family by her side.

A 51-year-old man, who is related to the youngster was arrested on suspicion of murder and is currently in police custody.

Jasmine’s dad, Simeon Forrester said: “This is a hugely tragic time for our family and the loss we feel is unexplainable. We are utterly devastated.

“Jasmine was a shining star and a huge part of us. We would really like to be left alone at this time while we come to terms with what has happened.”

A post mortem is expected to be held today (Sunday 11 February).

The house has been cordoned off to preserve the scene and to allow for forensic experts to conduct a thorough examination.

Police are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.

Anyone with information has been asked to contact police on 101, quoting log 77 of 9 February.

Crawley man sentenced to ten years for sex offences against young girls

A Crawley man is starting a ten-year prison sentence for a series of sexual offences against young girls known to him. 

Joshua Humphreys, 25, a waiter, of Rushetts Road, Crawley, was sentenced to ten years and eight months imprisonment at Lewes Crown Court on Monday (29 January) having admitted, at a hearing on 8 December, 19 sexual offences against five girls aged between 12 and 15, between 2011 and 2015, in Crawley, Horsham and East Grinstead.

He will also be a registered sex offender for life.

At the previous hearing Humphreys had admitted five counts of rape, five of sexual assault, one of sexual communication, and one of causing and inciting sexual activity, against one girl; two counts of sexual activity, one of sexual communication and one of inciting and causing sexual activity against a second girl; one count of sexual assault against a third girl; one count of sexual communication against a fourth girl; and one count of sexual communication against a fifth girl.

 

Detective Constable Joel Finney of the West Sussex Safeguarding Investigations Unit said; “Humphreys was already a registered sex offender. He was convicted in February 2016 at Chichester Crown Court of inciting an 11-year-old into sexual activity, and received a suspended sentence.

“Following publicity given to that sentencing, we began to receive further allegations from young girls about his behaviour before that case, and so began this new investigation.

“Gradually the girls revealed that they had been victims of similar, and some even more serious, conduct by Humphreys.

“His offending ranged from the sending of sexual messages by text and social media, to the systematic rape and sexual abuse of one the girls, a 12-year-old, for a year.

“All the victims were aged between 12 and 15, while Humphreys was over 18 at all times.

“He is clearly a sexual predator, who sought as many young girls as he could. Having seen or met them locally he used social media to befriend them to begin with.

“He freely admitted to us that his intention was to engage in sexual activity with them whenever the chance arose. His behaviour towards the 12-year-old who he raped how how he exerted control and influence over her, gradually introducing and normalising some particularly unpleasant and degrading activity.

“We admire the resolute way in which the victims supported our investigation, and were ready to give evidence in court if the need arose.

“Nobody should have to endure conduct such as this. If anything like this is happening to you or someone you know, advice and support is available on Sussex Police website.

“You can also contact Sussex Police online or by calling 101, and arrange to talk in confidence to experienced investigators.”

A Sexual Harm Prevention Order (SHPO) issued when Humphreys was sentenced in 2016, and severely restricting his access to children and computers until further court notice, continues in force.

Man arrested for murder of Mylee Billingham

A 54-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder yesterday afternoon (Tuesday 23 January).

Mylee Billingham, aged eight, was found with knife wounds at a house in Valley View, Brownhills in Walsall at around 9.15pm on Saturday (20 January).

She was taken to hospital with stab injuries but unfortunately nothing could be done to save her life and she was pronounced dead shortly after.

A post mortem examination took place on Monday (22 January) and the results confirm that Mylee died of a single stab wound to the chest.

The 54-year-old man remains in a serious but stable condition in hospital. He will be interviewed when he is deemed medically fit.

Police continue to support Mylee’s family at this tragic time.

Anyone with information is asked to call police on 101.

Body found in river is missing 11-year-old girl Ursula Keogh

A body found in a river in West Yorkshire is that of missing schoolgirl Ursula Keogh, police have confirmed.

 

Police are trying to work out the “full circumstances” of her death after she was discovered on Monday in the River Calder at Paris Gates in Halifax.

Police had launched an appeal to find the 11-year-old, who was last seen on Monday afternoon.

In a statement, West Yorkshire Police said: “Following the discovery of a body in the Hebble Brook at Paris Gates in Halifax yesterday (22 January), police can confirm that 11-year-old Ursula Keogh was found deceased.

“Police are working to establish the full circumstances and will prepare a file for the coroner.

“Her family are being supported by specialist officers and have requested for privacy at this extremely difficult time.”

The force earlier said: “Inquiries will remain ongoing to determine a cause of the death, however, at this stage, it is not believed there are any suspicious circumstances.”